• To serve Poland – to build Europe – to understand the world

  • ATTENTION: Starting from September 15, 2011 visa applications for Schengen and national visas submitted in all Polish consulates must be previously electronically registered on the following website:

    All necessary information concerning visa procedures and filling out application forms electronically can be found on the website mentioned above.


    In order to find out how exactly you can navigate at the websites, please take a look at this useful guide.




    Schengen C-type visa


    The unified Schengen visa (C-type visa valid in Schengen states) entitles the holder to stay in the territory of all Schengen states.


    The Schengen visa with limited territorial validity (C-type visa valid only in Poland or with validity excluded for a specified Schengen state/states) only entitles the holder to stay in the territory of the state/states for which it is valid.


    National D-type visa


    If you intend to stay in the territory of Poland for a total of more than 90 days (at least 91 days) during one or more visits within a half-year period calculated from the date of first entry, you need to apply for a national D-type visa.


    The national D-type visa entitles the holder to:
    - stay in the territory of Poland throughout the period of its validity;
    - additionally move within the territory of other Schengen states for up to three months within a half-year period.


    Transit airport visa

    If you intend to travel by air from a third state to another third state with a stopover at an airport in the Schengen area (in the territory of the Republic of Poland) and also:
    (1) you do not intend to leave the international transit area of the airport and
    (2) you hold the citizenship of Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Democratic Republic of Congo, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Ghana, Iran, Iraq, Nigeria, Pakistan, Sudan or Sri Lanka,
    - you need to apply for an A-type airport transit visa.


    When planning transit through an airport situated in a Schengen state other than Poland, we advise you to directly contact a consulate of the country concerned for visa information.


    The A-type airport transit visa only entitles the holder to stay in the international transit area of the airport (it does not entitle the holder to enter Schengen territory or leave the transit area of the airport).


    NOTE: Foreigners entering Schengen Area have to provide passport/travel document whose validity extends at least three months after the intended date of  departure from the Schengen Area and it has been issued within the previous 10 years.




    The relevant DIRECTIVE 2004/38/EC OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCIL of 29 April 2004 on the right of citizens of the Union and their family members to move and reside freely within the territory of the Member States states in its article 5 (Right of entry): "2. Family members who are not nationals of a Member State shall only be required to have an entry visa in accordance with Regulation (EC) No 539/2001 or, where appropriate, with national law.


    The above mentioned law is only applicable if the purpose of travel of a family member of the EU citizen is to join the EU citizen residing in the EU/EEA country outside of his/her origin country.


    In this case the following supporting documents should be produced:


    • original marriage certificate,
    • spouse's passport (photocopies not accepted),
    • evidence of same address.

    A standard, short-term visa is normally issued free of charge to these nationals.

    Please note that in some cases further documents and guarantees may be required.


    NOTE: In any other cases (f.e. Polish citizen married to a foreigner wishing to travel with him to Poland) a standard visa procedure is applicable, however the visa applicant is exempted from visa fee.



    Print Print Share: