Consular Information Embassy Bilateral cooperation
1. MARRIAGE IN FRONT OF THE POLISH CONSUL
ATTENTION: Only Polish citizens have a right to get married by a Polish Consul. Both women and men have to posses valid Polish passports.
- Required Documents:
- A valid photo ID (Polish ID, Polish passport);
- An original of Polish birth certificate;
- A proof of termination or cancellation of marriage, if a person intending to get married has been married before (these documents are mostly civil status certificates: spouse’s death certificate, marriage certificate updated to a divorced or cancelled status OR legally binding judicial ruling on spouse’s death, divorce, cancellation or invalidity of marriage);
- A written declaration of lack of any circumstances, which prevent from entering a marriage signed by both parties;
- Declaration of change of surnames of spouses and their children;
LAST NAME OF SPOUSES AND CHILDREN AFTER MARRIAGE
After concluding marriage, a spouse can carry:
- their current name (from before marriage);
- spouse’s name;
- combined of their current and spouse’s name.
In case declaration of surname is missing, each spouse keeps his/her current name.
A child can carry:
- the same name as one of its parent;
- by combining mother’s and father’s surnames.
- If parents didn’t submit the appropriate surname declarations for their children, they will carry a surname consisting of their mother’s surname with father’s name attached.
- Surnames cannot consist of more than two elements.
- Moreover, the correct way to write combined surnames is to put a hyphen in between the two elements (e.g. Smith-Jackson)
2. CERTIFICATE PROVING FULL ELIGIBILITY TO ENTER MARRIAGE
This certificate is issued for the purpose of entering marriage according to a Polish law. It can be obtained by any Polish citizen living abroad, who does not have permanent address in Poland or is unable to determine it, or a Polish citizen who lived for 16 years abroad.
- Original of Polish birth certificate or a proof of divorce or cancellation of marriage, if a person intending to enter marriage has been married before;
- A written declaration of lack of any circumstances, which prevent from entering marriage;
The certificate is valid for 3 months.